1. What African-American athlete won four gold medals at the 1936 Summer Olympics in Berlin?
2. In what city was Martin Luther King, Jr. assassinated?
3. Match the author to their work:
Zora Neale Hurston- Their Eyes Were Watching God
Richard Wright- Black Boy
Langston Hughes- I, Too, Sing America
James Baldwin- Notes of a Native Son
4. Who was the first African-American U.S. Supreme Court Justice?
5. Which U.S. amendment abolished slavery?
6. Jackie Robinson was the first African-American player to play in the National League. Who was the first to play in the American League? (One point bonus for the team he played on initially.)
Larry Doby, Cleveland Indians
7. Briefly explain the term "40 acres and a mule."
Reparations for slavery, etc.
8. Where was John Brown's Raid held?
Harper's Ferry, WV
9. Briefly explain the Dred Scott Decision.
Among other things, people of African descent imported into the United States and held as slaves, or their descendants—whether or not they were slaves—were not protected by the Constitution and could never be citizens of the United States
10. In what U.S. city was Motown Records originally based?
Bonus 1: Name as many Miles Davis albums as you can (One point each).
Look it up, there are like a bajillion
Bonus 2: Spike Lee has directed 35 movies/television movies. Name them (.5 points each)
Bonus 3: Who is Crispus Attucks?
First man killed during the Boston Massacre; mixed-race
Bonus 4: In what city was Rosa Parks asked to give up her seat to a white man?
Number of participants: 7
High score: Tom M., 24.5 (!)
Low score: 6.5
Average score: 12.03
Median score: 10.5