10.19.2009

My Case For: "Party in the U.S.A."


During my road trip this summer, my cohorts and I latched onto Miley Cyrus’ “The Climb” as some sort of anthem. I was stunned that I liked a Miley Cyrus song, and attributed it to our incredible intake of grease and sugar.

Then in August I heard “Party in the U.S.A.,” and I was hooked.

On it’s face, this song sucks. It’s about a girl moving from Nashville to Los Angeles, and uses the word “tummy” on multiple occasions.

Yet there’s something about it. The chorus is tight, it’s not as bubble-gum as most of Miley’s other songs, and it name checks Jay-Z. Cyrus also keeps some of her country roots intact, but in an accessible, non-Dixie Chicks kind of way.

So I started looking into it some more. It was written by the same guy who wrote “Since U Been Gone,” hands-down the best pop song of the last decade, and wasn’t even released on Cyrus’ album. In a totally 21st century move, the song was released by Walmart to market Cyrus’ new clothing line. Which, in a way, is kind of cool.

Record sales will never again be what they were, so why bother fighting it? “Party in the U.S.A.” is not only a great pop song, it also signifies the end of one musical era, and the beginning of the next.

Oh, and there was also the incredibly sexual performance of the song during the Teen Choice Awards, which, yes, I was watching. It was incredibly uncomfortable, but eventually ingrained the song in my head. A 16 year old should not be on a stripper pole. Period.

2 comments:

  1. “Party in the U.S.A.” is not only a great pop song, it also signifies the end of one musical era, and the beginning of the next. - Please elaborate on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry, this song is amazing. Have you heard Party and Bullshit/Party in the USA mashup yet?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6Ft_T-oMEY

    ReplyDelete