6.23.2009

Bolivian TV station makes Air France boo-boo


So when the Air France flight crashed into the Atlantic June 1, my first thought was, admittedly, "Holy shit this is just like LOST."

I tossed the idea around with some of my colleagues who watch the show, and they agreed that they had the same thought, twisted as it may be.

Well, it appears that a Bolivian television station has taken that opinion to the extreme. Earlier this week, the station, PAT, claimed to have obtained exclusive footage of the crash from inside the plane's cabin.

The problem? The footage was a scene from "LOST." Take a look.



Now I always give a certain amount of leeway to reporters and newscasters, because I know I've made mistakes in my stories as well. But to not recognize the actress (Evangeline Lilly) in the scene, or recognize that the crash happened at night and the "footage" was during the day time? Ridiculous.

Also, WHERE DID YOU THINK THEY FOUND THE CAMERA? The bottom of the ocean?

Props to Bassam for first bringing this to my attention.

3 comments:

  1. I think this should definitely be taught in a class of journalism ethics! Unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what is more horrible, the fact that they used this footage (and did they not bother to check the source?) or the way they keep spanning over the same screen grab from the video.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that, totally ridiculous, but pretty funny. I wish I understood Bolivian to understand what she is saying about that scene they show.

    ReplyDelete